Sunday, August 14, 2011

Dear DDS,

It's over.  Luckily, you took the hint and didn't make things awkward.

I decided to give you one last chance. I told you I wanted to slow things down and not go on "marathon dates."  Although you were unhappy with that and argued somewhat, you soon figured out that we would either slow down or I was out.  So you agreed to more "day dates" and no more sleepovers.

Which was why I was irritated when you set up our next date for a Friday evening.  I said "what part of no slumber parties did you fail to understand?"  So we agreed to meet halfway.  Unfortunately, there is not much between our respective towns.  There are two small towns, one being slightly bigger than the other.  One is slightly closer to me, the other is slightly closer to you.  The one closer to me is the bigger town, with plenty of "chain restaurants" to choose from.  I suggested the bigger town closer to me, because it has decent restaurants and a movie theatre.

You refused, saying that it was "way too far for you to drive there in back in one night."  It was 30 extra minutes one way for you.  The town you wanted me to drive to, had only fast food restaurants, and was 20 extra minutes one way for me.  You idiot.

Annoyed, but realizing that I had already agreed to this date, I agreed.  You picked a restaurant.  I didn't think the town had that restaurant, but you assured me that you had checked on it.

So on the day of the date, I am about to leave the house (earlier than you, because i have a longer drive).  I log onto the internet to get the address.  You idiot, as I had said, that small town had no decent restaurants.  Just fast food. I sent you a message to that effect.  You argued with me. I told you in no uncertain terms, that I had already looked it up, that it didn't exist and we needed an alternative.  I again suggested that we could meet at the larger town and go somewhere different. You again told me that this "impossible."   I almost told you "eff you" and went to fast food in Raleigh, but I decided this was your FINAL chance.

We select a diner and I arrive there earlier than you. Despite stopping for gas. I was highly annoyed that you had a shorter drive by 20 minutes and still managed to be late. Fail.

We muddled through dinner.  At one point you said "Well, I would NEVER live with someone before I was married." All judgmental like.  Coming from the same guy who showed up at my door for date 4 with a suitcase?!?!?!  I informed you, that due to a series of unfortunate events (perfect storm), I had lived briefly with my ex.  And you wanted the details. Perfect, I'm so glad I drove 1.5 hours, one way, to discuss why and how I came to live in my ex's house and the sordid dirty details of why that didn't work out.  That conversation should have happened over the phone, not on the one date we were going to have that week.  The food was terrible.  The company was terrible.  I knew there would be no future dates, but you didn't seem to think the same way.  You tried to kiss me goodnight in the parking lot of the diner/bowling alley.  I backed away.

Next time, DDS, you might want to consider taking the extra 30 minutes out of your life to meet your date at a decent restaurant.  So that she doesn't have to drive an extra 40 minutes to eat interstate diner food.  Just sayin'.

Best,
W

No comments:

Post a Comment