Sunday, May 8, 2011

Dear Ben the Ballplayer,

We did not even make it to date status.  Why?  Perhaps because 1. you are a liar and 2. you really underestimate the power of google.

Ben, an eharmony match, told me several things about himself as part of the get-to-know-you process.  Unfortunately for him, I'm well-traveled and well-versed in google stalking since I legit get to stalk as part of my job.  We call it "discovery."

One of the things Ben talked about was being from South Dakota.  Bet you didn't realize you were talking to one of two girls in NC (the other being my sister) who has actually traveled to South Dakota.  I named 3 of the big tourist attractions out there.  He hadn't heard of 1 of them... Um. It's South Dakota.  There isn't a whole lot to do out there. Period. If there is something to do, I'm pretty sure the entire state has at least heard of it. So either he is dumb, or he is not really from there.

But where Ben really went wrong is he started talking about playing baseball for college (and I'm pretty sure he said State) and then being drafted in the 11th round.  Unfortunately for Ben, he didn't know that my sorority pretty much hung out with the baseball team in college.  And so I polled my friends.  None of us could remember a Ben.  But he was older, so maybe he graduated earlier.

But then I was like well duh, I'll just check his draft status.  Having hung out with the baseball team, and having a cousin who was drafted in the 3rd round, I knew enough about it to know that Google would have this crap for me in about .2 seconds.  So I checked the 11th round, the 10th round, the 12th round.  Not a single Ben.  Not even close.  Not for the team he said drafted him, nor for any of the other players drafted in those rounds.

Moral of the story: if you are going to lie about something, make sure its something I can't easily fact check on Google.  Remember, I paid a significant sum of money in law school to learn how to fact check.

-W

No comments:

Post a Comment